Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Teaching in English is a Challenge

May 4th, 2013


This week has been a good one as always. I love El Golf and the people also. This week was a little different because I slept 3 nights in other sectors.  One night because of a meeting my comp went to and then I went on 2 different splits with 2 amazing sisters.  I just love, love, love them. It was fun to travel this week and learn from the other missionaries. I swear I am the luckiest missionary to go on splits 2 times a week and learn the best from every missionary and be able to come back and try to apply it in my life.

 First was Hermana Skabelund, she is from Utah and we are like two peas in a pod. We had such a good time and became super good friends in just one day.  We sure talked and talked all day and we contacted and contacted. One of our new goals as a companionship is to always talk about repentance when we contact people on the street, because the scriptures teach that we should teach repentance.   We had realized that we never had contacted this way so I tried that for the first time with Hermana Skabelund and she loved it.  Now she is doing it too!  But ya I learned a ton from her.  She is super positive even though she has had some hard trials in her life, and I really look up to her. She knows why she is here and she works hard. I hope sometime in the future of my mission I can be comps with her.


 I also got the opportunity to go on splits with Hermana Sanabria, she is from Paraguay. She is the sweetest person ever and she really teaches with all of her heart.  We went to teach a 12 year old girl and it was such a powerful lesson because she finally opened up to us and told us about how she has struggled all her life to know that she is loved or not. When she said this I was not sure what to do, but I have a picture of Christ in my scriptures ready to give away - so I gave it to her and then read a scripture. Then I asked her if she wanted to say a prayer and ask her Father in Heaven if He loved her and she did.  The spirit was so strong and her prayer almost brought me to tears. I know that prayer is real and that we just need to pray and then we can receive the spirit more abundantly in our lives and we can be prepared to receive more blessings. We also went and saw a convert named Luis. I have written home about him earlier because the last time I went on splits in this area we visited him. He truly is golden. He has such a strong desire to learn and then to apply the gospel principles in his life. He speaks English so some of the lesson I taught in English and believe it or not it was hard to talk about the gospel in English.  Most of the time I just reverted back to Spanish. I love learning Spanish and I love the people here - they truly are angels.  We then went to church in the ward with President and his wife, that was fun to see them and I bore my testimony.  It was amazing to feel the difference because the first time I bore my testimony in Chile was my first week here and I practiced all day. This time I went up and just spoke from my heart. I know there is no way that I could learn Spanish without the Lords help.

(Lauren was at the Alcrencon's house on Sunday and they emailed me asking about Skyping for Mother's Day.  After she left we decided to try it out with them.  So yes we got to talk with this family in Chile - Let's just say their English was better than our Spanish, but we had a good time trying to communicate)

YOU SKYPED WITH MY FAVORITE CHILEAN FAMILY!!!!! After ya’ll Skyped the Alrencons they called me and told me that they had just talked with ya’ll.  That is so crazy awesome. They literally are my family here and I love, love, love them.  How neat you got to meet my Chilean family.  They are such a great family and do so much for us. I was so happy last night when they told me it was the high light of my day. 



This week was my comps birthday. It was so fun to celebrate it.  I filled the tub with balloons and signs so when she went to take a shower she was surprised.  I was the best ( the bathroom is the only other room in our apartment so it always gets decorated  on birthdays haha)  We made cheesecake and ate ice cream and went to members houses to celebrate.  We got matching pajamas. I will send pictures!





Well I love the mission so much.   We work hard every day. I can’t wait to talk to ya’ll this week.  I always pray for you!!!!!

Hermana Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment